OUR PAST Monticello Methodist Church was organized September 15, 1946 by Rev. Fred Price with the collaboration of the following ministers: E.W. Cox, C.P. Bowles, Jack Cooke, and J.H. Armhurst-District Superintendent. Services were held at Monticello School until the educational building was completed. By March 1947 there were 95 charter members, a church enrollment of 126 with an average attendance of 88, and a $75 subscription for missions.
A building committee had secured a site for the building, and the building fund amounted to $2500 with $3000 in subscriptions. A campaign for Monticello nickels was conducted as part of the fundraising drive. The members sold the land at $2.00 per foot and paid for it in this manner. Rev. E.H. Lowman was the first pastor Race Street Methodist Church sent 32 members to Monticello. The membership came from 32 different churches. Monticello was placed on a charge with Rose Chapel Methodist Church and was known as the Monticello-Rose Chapel Charge.
A $20,000 educational building was building was built on the site and the first service was held on Easter Sunday in April of 1948. The first pulpit furniture was given by Broad Street United Methodist Church. The Bell was given to the church by L & N Railroad Company and was shipped here from Louisville, KY. The sanctuary was completed January 1957. In 1962 the parsonage was completed. In 1968 the name was changed to Monticello United Methodist Church due to the Methodist Church uniting with the Evangelical United Brethren church. In 1969, Monticello was placed on a charge with Midway United Methodist Church where it remained until 2002. In September of 1996, Monticello celebrated its 50th Anniversary during its homecoming event.
OUR PRESENT In 1998 it was decided that we should build a new church. Under the direction of Pastor Jeff Coppley, it was decided that the church would sell the current property and purchase land less than ½ mile away. Monticello paid over $600,000 for the land that makes up our current home on Island Ford Road. After selling the original property, the church moved in with Midway United Methodist Church (with whom we were still part of the charge) for approximately one year. For the remainder of the time while the new church was built, Monticello would meet at Monticello Elementary School, which brought the building experience full circle. In 2002, Monticello christened the new Sanctuary. The building cost was approximately $1.6 million. Jeff Coppley, the pastor, helped design the layout for the church. He believed the sanctuary should be the heart of the church, surrounded by the classrooms as a symbol of God being the center of the church. The chapel was built as a reminder of where the church had come from and the ideals and energy of the original founders of Monticello UMC. The chapel includes the stained glass windows, pews, lights, organ, and pulpit furniture from the old building.